Posted Mar 09, 2021, 08:11AM EST
Julia Grieve the Accidental Environmentalist
A trash twist on the classic Tom Collins, this cocktail calls for a syrup made from citrus scraps!
The Tom Collins recipe was first printed in the 1876 bartender book, it’s a nostalgic cocktail, fresh, fruity and I gave it a sustainable twist because the future is green.
CHOPPING BOARD CORDIAL –
1kg Mixed fresh off cuts
240g Granulated sugar
24g Citric acid powder
12g Malic acid powder
- Weigh your off cuts and add the same amount of water
- Cover and leave to soak over night at room temperature
- Strain out and weigh infused liquid
- (Assuming new weight is 1.2kg) add all powders and stir till dissolved
- Bottle and store cold
- 1 ½ cups ice
- 2 oz gin
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- ½ oz chopping board citrus cordial
- 1 cup ice
- 2 oz club soda
- Lemon wedge for garnish
Fill a glass with ½ cup ice and set aside in the freezer to chill. Combine the gin, lemon juice and cordial in a cocktail shaker with 1 cup of ice, cover and shake until chilled.
Strain into the chilled glass, top with club soda and garnish with a lemon slice and enjoy!